Member Recognition and Awards
Members of the MAFP are the heart of the organization’s success. They are vital to every facet of the organization’s mission. These awards are a way to recognize the outstanding family physicians of Missouri who go above and beyond for family medicine with their patients and their communities.
Nominate a family physician or resident in your life who deserves recognition for providing exemplary care, is involved in their community, or is a leader in their practice.
Recipients of these MAFP awards are announced each year at the Annual Meeting in November. At the Awards and Installation Ceremony, candidates who have earned their AAFP Degree of Fellow are conferred, and members with milestone anniversaries are recognized. We recognize these key stakeholders through different awards that are presented.
- Family Physician of the Year continues the tradition of recognizing a member who provides his/her patients with compassionate, comprehensive, and caring family medicine on a continuing basis; is directly and effectively involved in community affairs and activities that enhance the quality of his/her community; provides a credible role model, both professionally and personally, to his/her community, to other health professionals, and to residents and medical students; effectively represents MAFP and the specialty of Family Medicine by presenting a good public image, and exemplifies the family physician’s leadership role in improving the health of our state. The deadline for nominations is April 30th.
- Resident Stipend Award – This award is to help Missouri residents understand the complex negotiation process as they transition to a full-time Missouri family physician. The recipient should exhibit exemplary patient care, demonstrate leadership, display a commitment to the community, contribute to scholarly activity, and be dedicated to the specialty of family medicine. This financial award (up to $500) will be presented to one resident per Missouri family medicine residency program per year to have their Missouri employment contract reviewed by an attorney of their choosing and/or financial planning consultation. The deadline for nominations is April 30th.
- Exemplary Teaching Award acknowledges MAFP members who deserve recognition of exemplary teaching skills, as well as individuals who have implemented outstanding educational programs and/or developed innovative teaching models. The recipient must be in active practice, spend at least 50 percent of his/her time in the academic setting, be a MAFP member in good standing, be board certified in family medicine and/or an AAFP Fellow, be in academics at least ten years since completing residency training. The deadline for nominations is April 30th.
- Outstanding Resident of the Year Award will be presented to a graduating Missouri resident who exhibits exemplary patient care, demonstrates leadership, displays a commitment to the community, contributes to scholarly activity, and is dedicated to the specialty of family medicine. The nominee for this award must be a current resident member of MAFP and be graduating from a family medicine residency program in Missouri. MAFP members, family medicine residency faculty, or other members of a family medicine residency administrative staff may submit nominations for the award. The deadline for nominations is April 30th.
- Distinguished Service Award recognizes members, nonmembers, and entities for long-time dedication to advancing, contributing and supporting to the MAFP and the specialty of family medicine – rather than through a single, significant contribution and effective leadership in furthering the development of family medicine. This award is not limited to members only. Nominations must include a letter of recommendation and should include a brief summary of the entity or person’s accomplishments and why the award is deserved for distinguished and dedicated efforts furthering the specialty of family medicine. The deadline for nominations is April 30th.
Nominations for all awards must be submitted online. MAFP reserves the right to use discretion whether or not to award a nominee annually.
Other Awards and Recognition
Degree of Fellow
The Degree of Fellow recognizes AAFP members who have distinguished themselves among their colleagues, as well as in their communities, by their service to family medicine, by their advancement of health care to the American people, and by their professional development through medical education and research.
Fellows of the AAFP are recognized as Champions of Family Medicine. They are the physicians who make family medicine the premier specialty in service to their community and profession. Being a Fellow signifies not only ‘tenure’ but one’s additional work in your community, within organized medicine, within teaching, and a greater commitment to continuing professional development and/or research.
Members elected to Fellow status are granted the privilege of using the initials “FAAFP” after their name and are honored during the MAFP Annual Meeting. Another option is to be honored at a special Convocation Ceremony at the AAFP Family Medicine Experience.
The Missouri Academy recognizes members who are celebrating a milestone membership anniversary at the annual meeting. This award celebrates their dedication to making a difference with their patients for at least 25 years of service or more representing both the tradition and future of family medicine.
Top Graduating Medical Student Scholarship
The Missouri Academy awards $500 scholarships to the top graduating medical students who are entering family medicine at the 10 residency programs in Missouri. The scholarships are awarded at the annual meeting.
Officer and Board Recognition
The Missouri Academy recognizes the significant commitment of its officers and board of directors. The Soaring Eagle Award is presented to the past Board Chair, the gavel is passed on to the President as he/she moves into the chair position, and the incoming President receives an official framed copy of the President’s Oath. Other awards are presented at the discretion of the Board Chair.