An outstanding, caring, family physician in your community deserves the title “Missouri Family Physician of the Year.” The Missouri Academy supports over 2,400 active members in the workforce – doing extraordinary things every day. You know them, and we would like to acknowledge them. The Missouri Academy annually solicits nominations for this prestigious award. Nominations may be made by the public, as well as by physicians. Nominees must meet the eligibility requirements to be considered for this award. The Missouri Academy begins seeking nominations in December and will accept submissions up to the deadline of Monday, February 4, 2019. The winner will be notified in April and honored during the Awards and Installation Ceremony at the Show Me Family Medicine Conference in June.
Dr. David Campbell 2018 Missouri Family Physician of the Year
The Family Physician of the Year Award recognizes a physician who:
- Provides his/her patients with compassionate, comprehensive and caring family medicine on a continuing basis.
- Is directly and effectively involved in community affairs and activities that enhance the quality of his/her community.
- Provides a credible role model, both professionally and personally, to his/her community, to other health professionals, and to residents and medical students.
- Can effectively represent MAFP and the specialty of Family Medicine by presenting a good public image.
- Exemplifies the family physician’s leadership role in improving the health of our state.
Eligibility Requirements (MAFP Staff will verify) Each nominee must:
- Be in active practice
- Spend at least 50 percent of his/her time in direct patient care
- Be a MAFP member in good standing
- Be board certified in family medicine and/or an AAFP Fellow
- Be in practice in Missouri at least ten years since completing residency training
Members of the MAFP Board of Directors, members of the MAFP Member Services Commission, and previous recipients of the award are not eligible. Previous nominees may be nominated again.
Nomination and Selection Process
- Any member of the MAFP or the public may submit nominations. A Nomination Form explaining why you feel this person deserves the award be completed and submitted by the deadline.
- Include a description of what characteristics make this family physician stand out among his/her colleagues, using the judging criteria listed above as guidance.
- You may also include at least 3, but no more than 5, letters of support, and no more than ten (10) pages total may be submitted.
- The MAFP Staff will screen all nominees for eligibility and finalists will be asked to submit a CV, photo, a personal statement (not to exceed 2 pages).
- The MAFP Member Services Commission shall review all finalists’ materials and select the top candidate to present to the MAFP Executive Commission for final approval.
- The awardees will be honored at the MAFP Annual Meeting in June.
MAFP reserves the right to use discretion whether or not to award a nominee annually.
Past Recipients of this Award
2018 David Campbell, MD, St. Louis, MO
2017 Bruce Preston, MD, West Plains, MO
2016 Scott Griswold, MD, Eldon, MO
2015 Arthur Freeland, MD, Kirksville, MO
2014 David Pulliam, DO, Higginsville, MO
2013 R. Aron Burke, MD, Rock Port, MO
2011 Gene H. Leroux, MD, Doniphan, MO
2010 Curtis Long, MD, Butler, MO
2009 Brian Neely, MD, Hollister, MO
2008 Daniel Purdom, MD, Independence, MO
2007 Richard C. Price, MD, Harrisonville, MO
2006 James Turner, MD, Washington, MO
2004 Donald E. Philgreen, MD, Kansas City, MO
2002 Carl M. Myers, MD, Platte City, MO
2000 Lynn R. Shaffer, MD, Branson, MO
1998 David W. Glover, MD, Warrensburg, MO
1996 Thomas W. Carroll, MD, Lamar, MO
1995 Ben Koon, MD†, Bolivar, MO
1994 W. Wayne Boydston, MD, Odessa, MO
1993 David O. Barbe, MD, Mountain Grove, MO
1992 Joe A. Wall, MD, Houstonia, MO
1991 James Campbell, MD, Macon, MO