Members of the Missouri Academy are the heart of the organization’s success. They are vital to every facet of the organization’s mission. At the Show Me Family Medicine Conference in June, the Missouri Academy announces the recipient of the Missouri awards. At the Awards and Installation Ceremony, candidates who have earned their AAFP Degree of Fellow are conferred and members with milestone anniversaries are recognized. We recognize these key stakeholders through different awards that are presented at the Show Me Family Medicine Conference.
Nominations for all awards must be submitted online. MAFP reserves the right to use discretion whether or not to award a nominee annually.
- Resident Stipend Award – This award is to help Missouri residents understand the complex negotiation process as they transition to a full-time Missouri family physician. The recipient should exhibit exemplary patient care, demonstrate leadership, display a commitment to the community, contribute to scholarly activity and is dedicated to the specialty of family medicine. This financial award (up to $500) will be presented to one resident per Missouri family medicine residency program per year to have their Missouri employment contract reviewed by an attorney of their choosing and/or financial planning consultation. The recipient is selected by the Missouri family medicine residency program during the resident’s 2nd or 3rd year of residency. In addition, the recipient will receive one free MAFP conference registration for the Show Me Family Medicine Conference, valued at $275 (early bird rate), within the first 3 years after completing residency. The deadline for nominations is March 31.
- Exemplary Teaching Award acknowledges MAFP members who deserve recognition of exemplary teaching skills, as well as individuals who have implemented outstanding educational programs and/or developed innovative teaching models. The recipient must be in active practice, spend at least 50 percent of his/her time in the academic setting, be a MAFP member in good standing, be board certified in family medicine and/or an AAFP Fellow, be in academics at least ten years since completing residency training. The deadline for nominations is February 3.
- Outstanding Resident of the Year Award will be presented to a graduating Missouri resident who exhibits exemplary patient care, demonstrates leadership, displays a commitment to the community, contributes to scholarly activity and is dedicated to the specialty of family medicine. The nominee for this award must be a current resident member of MAFP and be graduating from a family medicine residency program in Missouri. MAFP members, family medicine residency faculty, or other members of a family medicine residency administrative staff may submit nominations for the award. The deadline for nominations is February 3.
- Distinguished Service Award recognizes members, nonmembers, and entities for long-time dedication to advancing, contributing, and supporting to the MAFP and the specialty of family medicine – rather than through a single, significant contribution and effective leadership in furthering the development of family medicine. This award is not limited to members only. Nominations must include a letter of recommendation and should include a brief summary of the entity or person’s accomplishments and why the award is deserved for distinguished and dedicated efforts furthering the specialty of family medicine. Nominations may be received from members or MAFP staff. The deadline for nominations is February 3.
- Family Physician of the Year continues the tradition of recognizing a member who provides his/her patients with compassionate, comprehensive and caring family medicine on a continuing basis; is directly and effectively involved in community affairs and activities that enhance the quality of his/her community; provides a credible role model, both professionally and personally, to his/her community, to other health professionals, and to residents and medical students; effectively represents MAFP and the specialty of Family Medicine by presenting a good public image; and exemplifies the family physician’s leadership role in improving the health of our state. The recipient must be in active practice, spend at least 50% of his/her time in direct patient care of residents of Missouri, be an MAFP member in good standing, be board certified in family medicine and/or an AAFP Fellow, and be in practice in Missouri at least 10 years since completing residency training. Nominations may be received from the public, members or MAFP staff. The deadline for nominations is February 3.
- Other awards recognized during the Awards and Installation Ceremony include:
Top Medical Students
Officer and Board Recognition