Changes are happening all around us, every day and this conference is no different. This is the 3rd year that Missouri residents and students have gathered to share experiences and learn from each other and colleagues. We have changed the location to rotate between Jefferson City, St. Louis and Kansas City. And this year’s conference will be held at the Marriott Hotel, Country Club Plaza, in Kansas City on June 7-8, 2019.
If you are ready for the next step in your career, entering medical school or a residency program – you need to attend this meeting. Years of planning and education have brought you to where you are today as you transition to practice as a Missouri family physician. Resident and students were brought together at the MAFP’s Annual Fall Conference for a focus group session and shared what they need to help them transition to the next phase of their career. New physicians will share their knowledge and experiences about what they wish they knew, one step at a time, as they began this new phase of their career.
The Transition to Practice program focuses on a two-day conference that will provide a foundation of resources and practical tools to family medicine students and residents as they transition to the next phase of their careers. Every participant will leave the conference armed with ideas, professional and personal resources, and practices that will prepare them as they matriculate through medical school, residency, and then to becoming a practicing Missouri family physician. 3rd and 4th year medical students and all residents are invited to participate. Medical students in their 1st and 2nd year will be considered with support from their department chair. In addition, the program builds a comprehensive opportunity for residents and students to engage in other chapter events and opportunities, including CME and advocacy.
Participants at the transition conference will experience a welcoming environment to exchange information and ideas with fellow medical students, residents and physicians during this two-day interactive conference. They will learn about:
- leadership skills essential to performing well in their role as a student and/or resident
- resources as well as valuable peer and family medicine expert connections
- the power of engagement at the community, state, and national levels
- and prepare for the next phase of their career through a recruiting event with Missouri residency programs and recruiters; and a “how to” session for applying and interviewing for their next steps.
Future Engagement Opportunities:
Attendees of this conference will be invited to participate in other events and programs of the Missouri Academy of Family Physicians and the Missouri Society of the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians. These events include:
- Family Medicine Advocacy Summit, May 20-21, 2019, Marriott Marquis Hotel, Washington, DC
- Show Me Family Medicine Conference, June 21-22, 2019, Tan-Tar-A Resort, Osage Beach (MAFP)
- Annual Fall Conference, November 9-10, 2019 – Big Cedar Lodge, Branson (MAFP)
- 2020 Winter Family Medicine Update, January 23-26, 2020, The Hilton Garden Inn, Independence, MO (MSACOFP)
- Family Medicine Advocacy Day, February 17-18, 2020 – Capitol Plaza Hotel, Jefferson City (MAFP)
Transition Conference Registration Links:
- Conference Agenda – Topics include: transition opportunities and challenges, the value of membership in AAFP/MAFP (with a tour of the AAFP offices), a procedures workshop on dermatology, rural family medicine, artificial intelligence in family medicine, and interview techniques. A Missouri Mingle will be held with an opportunity to meet with Missouri residency programs and recruiters.
- Online Registration Form – FREE for Missouri Residents and Students
- Missouri Mingle Exhibitor Online Registration Form -Must be a Missouri facility/agency.
|Marriott Hotel, Country Club Plaza
4445 Main Street, Kansas City, Missouri
Receive complimentary lodging by sharing a room – email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Family Health Foundation of Missouri will provide a complimentary registration for all Missouri family medicine residents and students.
If you choose to have a separate room, please contact the Marriott Hotel at 800-810-3708 to make your lodging reservation and refer to the Missouri Academy of Family Physicians group rate. Or make your reservation online by clicking here. We are pleased to offer a group rate of $129.00 per night, plus applicable fees and taxes. If you share a room, you are eligible for complimentary lodging — Email Kathy Pabst.
Thank you to our conference sponsors!